Are there natural obstacles that keep you from knowing God / seeking God at a deeper level? Sure there are. We all have obstacles in our life. It’s probably different for each of us yet when we bring it all down to the LCD (lowest common denominator) we find out that we either place our hope in God or we place our hope in stuff. So, I have to ask myself: What do I need more, my stuff in my life or my savior in my life?
Don’t get me wrong… I have some really nice things that I want to hold on to for a while longer. BUT, what happens when the stuff I am holding on to really is holding me back – holding me down in my walk with God? I have to get to the point where I am honest with myself and admit that I love my stuff more than I love my relationship with God… I admit that I believe my stuff will bring me joy and not my savior.
So what do I do when I start to think this way and I realize it?
- Capture those Thoughts – remind myself that my stuff never died for my sins!
- Reflect on Salvation – remind myself of what Jesus did in my life when He rescued me. And that’s what He did – He rescued me from my sinful / self-destructing habits.
- Embrace Love – Jesus loves me unconditionally and my stuff CAN NEVER DO THAT. My stuff will never love me back no matter how much I love my stuff. So I put my stuff aside and pursue the ONE who loves me just as I am.
Steps To Take
- Confess to God what is an obstacle in your life to His love
- Ask God to place within your heart a desire to LOVE and Pursue Him
- Share your stuff freely with others – this will be a good test to see if you have your stuff or if your stuff has you!
2 Corinthians 10:5 (NASB)
We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ,